Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Going into the Real World


I started thinking about the career world and found myself shaking in my boots. I have done the education, but like Kelli Matthews said in her recent blog, “Work is Hard: Tips for your First Job,” education doesn’t prepare you for the real 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. shift.

I know that the PR industry will allow me to put all my hard work and efforts to good use. And it will allow new challenges for me, but I have to be honest, I am so scared. I think the hardest part for me is going to be waking up at 5 a.m. to make the commute from Brush Prairie, Washington to downtown Portland. I have to start training myself by getting up early and going to bed early.

It is also time to start networking. I need to start meeting more PR people and get more involved. I just need to put myself out there and have confidence. I think that once I start meeting more people that have the experience, I will be able to better understand the career world and will be able to prepare myself.

I am lucky because I have the summer to prepare. I have an internship lined up for the Fall, and I am searching for an internship or work experience for the summer. I will be able to gain some real work experience before I jump in. I am going into these internships with the attitude that they are real jobs since they offer real opportunities and can lead to real careers. I am excited for the future but am nervous to let go of the past and move on into the work force. I will take it one step at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.