Thursday, May 10, 2007

Will we blow up?


Last weekend a bomb scare struck my University. I guess someone had written on a bathroom wall that there would be a bomb detonated on Monday, the 7th. The message said that the Lillis Business Complex would be the target. The president of the complex, Dave Frohnmayer sent out an email to all students notifying them of this threat and he canceled classes in the complex for that day.
I was very appreciative of the email. Considering the current events that have happened on college campuses, I believe that nothing should be taken lightly. If it had not have been for his email I would have never known about the threat. The he sent a follow up email the next day to let students know that classes would resume and just to be aware that there was another bomb threat Monday evening, but he believed it was just a spoof.
I am not fearful to be on my campus. If a bomb did happen to go off, I believe that that is my destiny, and so be it. But, I find Mr. Frohnmayer to be a very respectful man for taking that bomb threat so seriously. It makes me feel good about being a part of the University of Oregon. Just a word on the stupidity of these people who are throwing out threats--DON'T DO IT! It is lame and just causes panic. It also pushes back class schedules so that those who actually care about going to class have to miss out and play catch up for the rest of the term.
I just wanted to stress the fact that keeping students updates via email is a great thing to do. It put a lot of us at ease and really made students feel that their safety is a great concern. Thanks Mr. Frohnmayer!

No comments: