Friday, May 11, 2007

Are we really that self-absorbed?


I read an article today about Generation Y and their obsession with themselves. I find it to be very interesting that they have done research on this topic. In this article, a girl was quoted saying, "I think it's because we all have our own cellphone and iPod with which we're doing our own thing in our own little world."

iPods and cell phones cause us to be self-absorbed? Really? DUH! I think that it is time that my generation starts looking at the real picture and starts recognizing the world around them. It is time we grow up and start learning how to act in society and how to treat people.

I am scared that Jean Twenge, a San Diego State associate professor and lead author of the report, will be right. We are going to turn out to be people who only care about ourselves, and what kind of a world will that be? A pretty awful one, in my opinion.

So my advice to others in my position (listen up Gen Y) is to just be aware of your surroundings, and pay attention to detail. Lets prove Jean Twenge wrong!

No comments: